Thursday, January 6, 2011

What's For Dinner: Saucy Chicken with Mushrooms

Hello and Happy 2011!

I got two great crockpot cookbooks for Christmas, one from my husband and one from my sister. I thumbed through both of them briefly and found a bunch of new recipes that we'll be trying as I try to keep up the energy to try new things. One of the things that's cool about the book that I'm cooking from today is that it will give you a recipe on how to prepare some meat then give you 3-4 simple (non crockpot) recipes that you can use the meat in for a quick meal. Very cool.

The book that my husband got me is "The Ultimate Slow Cooker Book" put out by Better Homes and Gardens.

Saucy Chicken with Mushrooms

Ingredients

8 oz fresh button mushrooms, quartered
6 oz fresh shiitake mushrooms stems removed, and caps sliced
4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves (about 1.5 lbs total)
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 0.7 oz packet Italian dry salad dressing mix
1 10.75 oz can condensed golden mushroom soup
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 of an 8oz tub cream cheese spread with chives and onion
Hot cooked rice or angel hair pasta
Snipped fresh chives (optional)

Directions

1. In a 3.5-4 quart slow cooker combine button and shiitake mushrooms. Top with chicken. In a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat; stir in dry dressing mix. Stir in soup, wine and cream cheese. Still until the cream cheese melts; pour over chicken.


2. Cover and cook on a low heat setting for 4-5 hours.

3. Serve chicken and sauce over hot cooked rice. If desired, sprinkle each serving with chives.

Unfortunately, when I went to the store they only had one type of mushroom so I got enough of one kind to equal the total amount of the mushrooms that it called for. I'm hoping that this doesn't damper the recipe too much.

Later, I'll post a verdict!

No comments:

Post a Comment