Tuesday, November 30, 2010

What's For Dinner: Chicken Pot Pie

Tonight I'm digging into the archives and taking out a recipe that we haven't had for about a year... Chicken Pot Pie! I remember it being a hit before and I'm hoping for an encore of rave reviews. We'll see! I love recipes like this because I can assemble it during Joshua's naptime then pop it in the oven when he's awake and I don't have to do any work on it. This is also a good dish to send to someone who might need a meal. All they need to do is pop it in the oven and wait!

Easy Chicken Pot Pie

2 chicken breasts, cubed
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 can of peas and carrots (I don't like peas so we just do carrots and sometimes corn)
2 cans of cream of chicken soup (I use the 98% fat free Campbell's)
1/2 cup milk
1 box Pillsbury pie crusts
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.

Saute chicken and onions in a skillet with oil or butter until chicken is no longer pink inside (Last night we had a chicken dish and so I cooked extra breasts in the oven to hopefully skip this step, though I will still sautee the onions). Prepare one pie crust in a 9" pie pan (you want this to be a deep pie pan)

Add Chicken and can of vegetables.

Sprinkle cheese on top. Mix soup and milk and pour on top. Top with second pie crust, seal and cut a slit in the top to release steam.

Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown (you really have to watch it, sometimes it takes longer. I also make sure to put a cookie sheet under mine so that if it bubbles over a little that it doesn't drip to the bottom of the oven).

Let stand 5 minutes before cutting and serving.

I'd love to see some of your recipes too! Please feel free to share them in the comments section. If I make them, I'll post them for everyone else to see!

2 comments:

  1. Shepherd's pie... cook 1 lb of ground beef and add in some ketchup and water (some people use worchestersire sauce and beef stock-- i didnt have those in the house), and mix up. put it in a casserole dish, and layer thawed or cooked carrots (or peas or corn), then add mashed potatoes, and sprinkles some cheese on top. Bake for about 20 minutes. YUM

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS... do you like pesto?? If so, you can make some (I have a good low fat recipe), and put it on chicken...which is good w/ potatoes, rice, etc w/ a veggie... easy.

    Also, I love pesto chicken on pizza dough, w/ some olive oil, tomato slices and cheese. delicious.

    ReplyDelete